HELPING YOU FIND THE RESOURCES YOU NEED
New Canaan CARES does not provide counseling services but we have developed these guidelines to assist you in your search for a therapist. Please be sure to contact several therapist prior to making your final decision.
Steps to finding a therapist
- Identify a pool of candidates
- Questions to ask a therapist
- What are your areas of expertise/specialization?
- What age group do you typically work with?
- How long have you been in practice?
- What did our training consist of?
- Are you accepting new patients?
- What are your hours
- Where are you located?
- Do you take my insurance?
- Do you do a free initial consultation/meeting?
- Are you an individual therapist or part of a larger practice?
- Making your choice
- Speak with at least 3 professionals prior to making your selection.
- Check that they have a solid education, had a supervised clinical experience and are licensed, registered or certified by a reliable governing body.
- Ensure that the professional was responsive and gave you adequate time.
- Determine how many sessions may be required for evaluation and treatment?
- Be sure the logistics of the practice are acceptable (hours, insurance, etc.).
- Most importantly, the patient needs to be comfortable in the office and speaking with the therapist.